294 stroker questions

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: 294 stroker questions
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:56:27 -0700
4/19/02

To the groups,

        I have been studying the writeup of the 294 CID stroker engine in
the Sep-Dec, 2001 issue of the British V8 Newsletter.  It is an excellent
formula and a logical update to the 289 recipe in the famous March, 1985
Hot Rod Magazine article.  Naturally, D & D Fabrications/Dan LaGrou played
an important part in both.

        I have some questions I'd like to see people respond to:

        1) Do the valves called for have smaller 5/16" stems, in contrast
to the 11/32" stems originally in the Buick 300 head?

        2) May I assume the "sleeves" called for are used to reduce the
guide diameter to match these smaller stems?

        3) Are the Precision B-5038 Bronze guides called for in the "85 HRM
article (to accomplish the same purpose?) still available----If so, where?

        4) The HRM writeup seems to imply that larger valves can be
accomodated by simply grinding the existing seat inserts to a larger
diameter.  The current article specifies installation of new larger
inserts.  Can it be done both/either way?

        Hope to see some good feedback on this.

Regards,
Dave Kernberger

///