RE: Sounds like a rod knock?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sounds like a rod knock?
From: Kevin Burtch <kburtch@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:36:24 -0500 (EDT)
Well, I'm not sure if they are still making the catalytic
converters the same as in the TR8, but I remember running
across a posting due to my TR8 having the same problem.
Unfortunately, I found it using listquest, which is now dead.

I'm trying to remember the description, but this was a while
ago (a year maybe?). Basically, when it gets old, instead of
breaking apart in pieces like most other manufacturers' cats
do, the ones in the TR8 will break loose from their mountings
and slide up and down in its housing, slamming while it's doing
so. It slides up and down due to the exhaust pulses, so the
timing is right to make it sound like a really _loud_ rod knock.
I had the exact same thing, and thought I had an intermittent
stuck valve hitting a piston! It would come and go fairly
suddenly... where I would expect a rod knock to come on gradually
if you only hear it when the oil gets hot and its viscosity
changes.

It was weird about mine... it stopped doing it for a while, then
I had the car shipped. After unloading it from the carrier, I
fired it up and the knock was back even while cold! I thought it
was something serious. Anyways, the car ended up being stored for
a long time after that (many months), and when I took it out of
storage, it was quiet again. Wierd, but I'm convinced that the
posting I read was correct, due to the on/off nature of the
noise.

I suppose you could check with an automotive stethescope, since
just listening with the "naked ear" makes it sound like it's
coming from the entire side of the engine (it's pretty loud).

Good luck! I hope this is the problem!
-Kevin

///
///