Sounds like a rod knock?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Sounds like a rod knock?
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 05:56:29 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings all!

I've signed on to hopefully answer a question my
brother has about the engine in the Land Rover he
recently bought.

It of course has the aluminum v8 in it, and though he
read the manual waring about warming up at idle, he
went ahead and installed a remote starter, and
regularly let the vehicle warm up at idle this past
winter.

Now, the motor which sounded perfect when He bought it
has developed a sound not unlike a "rod knock" which
obviously has him concerned.

The facts:
1997 Land Rover Defender
90,000 miles
Sounds okay when cold, knock sound develops as it
warms up.

So, how common is this complaint, and what exactly
might that noise be?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I hope to get my
brother online in the next few weeks so he can get
involved in this list himself!

Cheers,
John Donohoe

PS Read about the BOP Aluminum V8 powered Lotus 15 run
by Sy Kaback in the early 60's - http://www.simplesevens.com/sykaback/06.htm
http://taxes.yahoo.com/

///
///