Primed oil system but should this happen?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Primed oil system but should this happen?
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 14:06:53 +1200
Hi folks. I've primed my rebuilt engine by running the oilpump with a mains
electric
drill prior to 1st startup. There's plenty of oil being pumped (to the rockers
etc) but i'm really worried about the amount of load the drill's facing, in
fact it almost stalls, even starts to smoke!. Is it normal that the oilpump
should load up so much... & go 'notchy' as it rotates? Does it indicate a
problem
going on that could see all my work grenade over the workshop if i do a run
on the engine? Any ideas truly appreciated.
Pete

///
///