Re: Muncie 4-speed transmission

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Muncie 4-speed transmission
From: jon <jonaxt@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:03:10 -0700
I've not heard of the M20, only M21 and M22. The M22 is nick-named the
rock crusher, and I too think the straight cut gears is rumor. The M21
came in two ratios: 2.2:1 low and ~2.5:1 low. The former is super close,
and even the latter has quite a tall low gear. The small engine rpm drop
is neat. Compare to the Camaro and Mustang T-5's, which has 2.95:1 low
gear. I ran one for a time in my 2300 pound TVR with Corvette 3.55 final
drive gears and weakened limited slip. I had trouble launching
consistantly at the strip with fairly decent performance tires. Also
hurting me was the McLeod alloy flywheel. The shifting linkage is via
external rods, ala T-10. With such close ratios you're stuck with either
a very tall low or very short top gear. Now, if I could put the M21 gear
ratios in a T-5  . . .  BTW, there is a fifth gear set for the Camaro
T-5 that gives you a 0.73 instead of 0.63:1 fifth.
I'm pretty sure of the above information; it is from memory.
Confirmation from the group would be helpful, as a new gearbox is
expensive. M21's used to be had for $200; now I believe they're a lot
more money. Jon

///
///