Re: Front end (fuel pump) oil leak; how to fix it

To: "Bren, Leon" <lbren@chw.net.au>, Duane Kennard <p6man@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Front end (fuel pump) oil leak; how to fix it
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:41:20 -0500
Leon-

You may need a new mechanic, or a new source of parts.

If this is like the early Buick 215 V8, & I think it is, there is not a proper
seal,
just a gasket. Easy to make, cheap to buy. I have a few spares you are welcome
to if
you don't mind the delivery time from the USA.

As this is probably a high mileage engine, you might check closely around the
crank
seal where the harmonic balancer & pulley attach to the end of the crank. In the
early GM engines, this is a rope seal, later Rovers use a true neoprene seal,
not
sure which the P-6 has. The other common source of oil leak, if the PVC system
is
blocked, is around the distributor base.

Oil leaks are often hard to identify, as the oil will travel in strange
directions
before it drips.

I am copying this to a fellow in California I have done some business with, &
who
specializes in P-6 Rovers. Duane is one of the "good guys", & if you do not get
reply from him, make direct contact.

Hope some of this helps.

Jim Stuart