Re: Buick 215 Bellhousing

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Buick 215 Bellhousing
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 22:19:53 -0500
David & all-

The GM T-5 bolts directly to the 4-speed 215 bell housing and to the combo
3/4-speed bell housing. It does not bolt to the 215 3 speed bell housing.

The Ford T-5 can be made to work with any 215 bell housing using an adapter
plate
such as the one D & D sells.

If you are using a later model Rover engine rather than a Buick or Olds 215, you
will need a spacer approximately 3/8" thick either between the engine & bell
housing or between the bell housing & transmission. Casual observation will not
reveal this fact as the whole mess will bolt right up, but the engine will not
turn. This is because the later Rover cranks are longer at the rear than the GM
versions, & the input shaft will bottom out in the end of the crank, putting
enough pressure on the thrust surfaces that the engine cannot turn.
Alternately,
you may have the transmission input shaft shortened.

Mixing Rover engines with GM trannies will require a custom pilot bearing. Not a
big deal.

Jim Stuart