Re: Flap type injection & camshafts!

Subject: Re: Flap type injection & camshafts!
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:19:34 +0000
Pete wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's the first time that I have spoken on this list and I'd just like to see
> if there is anyone who can advise me on camshaft selection for my V8
> injection.  I have a standard camshaft in at the moment but there is no
> 'real punch' so would like to change it if I can.  The engine already has
> mildly flowed heads, ARP studs on main caps, heads, inlet & exhaust, Cloyes
> double timing chain, hi-rev lifters, tubular manifolds into 2 x 2 1/2 in
> exhausts & a K&N air filter.   Are there any camshafts that work with the
> standard ecu or am I better off changing this system to a hotwire type?
>
> Pete

        Hi, Pete, and all others on this fine list, to which I have recently
subscribed! Glen Wilson and others may know me from Rovernet. (Hi, Glen!)

        If you're looking for an excellent road cam, I can recommend without
reservation the Piper 285. I have used this cam in many V8s, from 3.5 to 4.5
litre with excellent results. Bottom end torque I would say is slightly
adversely
affected on a 3.5, but anything bigger and it seems to actually improve! I
currently run a 4.5 using one of these, with 200+ lbs. ft. of torque at 1000RPM.
(314 at 4500). Being in the UK, this cam should be easily available from several
sources.

        The hotwire injection, IMO, is a very good way to go, but very expensive
to acquire (unless you know better - if so _please_ tell me! ;>) ). (I should
point out that I have an axe to grind here, as I can offer modifications to
these units. However, I can also offer modified (adjustable) units for the
flap system. See website if interested!)

        Looking forward to reading many interesting posts on this group!

        Regards,
                Franc.
--
      W------W