Re: Land Rover press release

To: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>,
Subject: Re: Land Rover press release
From: "Glen Wilson" <rovercar@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:17:52 -0500
>     Now I don't see Rover going away completely.  But I do see where Ford
> may want to renovate the Rovers with their modular block design.....But
then
> again.....Maybe we'll see Mustangs with Rover power plants !!!!  Our
Beloved
> Aluminum blocks back in American metal, on American Soil...  Who
> knows...time will tell..
>
> Rich

Rich,

You won't see any Ford V8s in Rovers because Rovers are ALL small
front-engined, front-wheel-drive vehicles.  You may see a Ford V8 in a Land
Rover, but that's a different kettle of fish.

As someone who is into Rover saloons but not Land Rovers (too pricey), I'm
always a bit mystified when LR people refer to their vehicles as Rovers as
if Land Rovers were all the company ever made.  Land Rover was always owned
by the Rover Company and always seemed to be more profitable than the
automobile side, but they've made Rover automobiles continuously since 1904
and Land Rover only came on the scene by accident in 1948 as a stop-gap
measure that took everyone at Rover completely by surprise when it caught on
big and probably saved the company.

It's not that big of a deal, but a Land Rover is a Land Rover.  Calling a
Land Rover a Rover is like calling a Dodge Durango a Chrysler.  You might as
well call it what it is.