Re: Valve (rocker) cover gasket

To: "Lorne M. Goldman" <lmg@gomog.com>, James R Bown <Bowan@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Valve (rocker) cover gasket
From: Ken Millican <kenmillican@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:20:46 -0800 (PST)
Gents

Speaking from bitter experience, a word of warning.  I
bought a 3.9 Rover V8 recently with rubber rocker
cover gaskets already fitted.  Some time later I
removed a rocker cover for inspection and
unfortunately the gaskets had swollen.  I later found
the gaskets could not be refitted and worse still they
incorporate 4 small hardened steel dowells in each
through which the retaining cap screws pass (I presume
to prevent the gasket being squashed out of location,
perhaps someone can enlighten me?).  With the swelling
of the rubber gasket around them the dowells were
loose, one of which dropped into an oilway in the head
on removal of the rocker cover.  No amount of fiddling
poking and prodding with a magnetic rod could retrieve
the item and it eventually resulted in a serious
amount of strip down work to get it back....I have,
needless to say, reverted to the old fashioned
composite cork type! (once bitten twice shy)

This is just a word of warning from bitter past
experience and in no way an attempt to pass judgement
or contradict any previously posted advice

Best Regards - Ken