Re: V8 oil pump thoughts

To: Dan Carrington <dc_grafx@microworks.net>
Subject: Re: V8 oil pump thoughts
From: Winn Bearden <wbearden@americus.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:05:46 +0100
Dan Carrington wrote:

> I have been looking into all the things that are available for the V8 oil
> pumps.  All the high pressure, high volume, non-sticking, remote mounting, oil
> cooling, and everything else out there for these cars.  I am slightly
> overwhelmed about this area.  There are so many things available and so many
> conflicting articles and instructions.  Some say I have to replace/modify the
> base plate to fix a used engine pressure adjusting valve.  Some say I should
> increase the pressure, and others say this is not a good thing.  I believe I
> have found 3 variations in the size of the pump gears (early, late, and w/
> spacing plate).  What all am I to do.  I plan a slightly hot rodded engine.  I
> want it to last, so the oil supply is critical.  What is the best (price
> dependent and price not dependent) thing to do in this area.  What, if
>anything
> should I do to the actual pump housing, since it is the whole timing front
> cover.  I noticed scratches on the tips of the gear teeth and matching ones on
> the inside of the recess where they fit.  Somewhere, somehow, the gears have
> been rubbing the inside of the timing cover, or large debris has been moving
> around inside the pump!  Is this normal?  Should I do anything before fitting
> new gears?  Should I fit a new (dang expensive) timing cover?  I have
> Hardcastle's books, and I have seen a tadpole type pressure regulating valve
> that is supposed to alleviate the sticking problem, but I am unable to source
> one anywhere.  Has anyone ever bought one of these things?  Do you like it?
> Where did you get it?
>
> Dan Carrington
> 1977 White TR7, thoroughly tweaked for fun, awaiting V8
> 1994 Honda CBR900RR sportbike

Order you  a brand new timing cover for a 3.8 Buick.  You have to enlarge the
dowel

pin holes if it is a Rover V-8.  One other thing. There is two different types
of
timing covers.  Make sure your oil pan bolts line up.  If they don't, then it is
the wrong one.  The wrong one can work, but you'll have to drill and tap new oil
pan bolt holes AND drill out a blocked off oil passage. Not worth the hassle
unless

you've already bought the wrong one and installed a hi- vol oil pump before you
realized it! (You can safely guess that this is what I did!)  100 bucks for the
cover, 30 for the hi- vol oil pump, and 30 for a Buick water pump instead of the
$200.00 Rover WP.

--
Winn Bearden    19?? SIIA/SIII/RR 100" Hybrid
P.O. Box 464       1995 RR County Classic