V8 oil pump thoughts

To: Rover V8 list <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: V8 oil pump thoughts
From: Dan Carrington <dc_grafx@microworks.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:11:18 -0700
I have been looking into all the things that are available for the V8 oil
pumps.  All the high pressure, high volume, non-sticking, remote mounting, oil
cooling, and everything else out there for these cars.  I am slightly
overwhelmed about this area.  There are so many things available and so many
conflicting articles and instructions.  Some say I have to replace/modify the
base plate to fix a used engine pressure adjusting valve.  Some say I should
increase the pressure, and others say this is not a good thing.  I believe I
have found 3 variations in the size of the pump gears (early, late, and w/
spacing plate).  What all am I to do.  I plan a slightly hot rodded engine.  I
want it to last, so the oil supply is critical.  What is the best (price
dependent and price not dependent) thing to do in this area.  What, if anything
should I do to the actual pump housing, since it is the whole timing front
cover.  I noticed scratches on the tips of the gear teeth and matching ones on
the inside of the recess where they fit.  Somewhere, somehow, the gears have
been rubbing the inside of the timing cover, or large debris has been moving
around inside the pump!  Is this normal?  Should I do anything before fitting
new gears?  Should I fit a new (dang expensive) timing cover?  I have
Hardcastle's books, and I have seen a tadpole type pressure regulating valve
that is supposed to alleviate the sticking problem, but I am unable to source
one anywhere.  Has anyone ever bought one of these things?  Do you like it?
Where did you get it?

Dan Carrington
1977 White TR7, thoroughly tweaked for fun, awaiting V8
1994 Honda CBR900RR sportbike