More 215 stuff

To: mtinker@cisco.com, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: More 215 stuff
From: Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 16:46:23 -0600
Hi All,

I planned on finishing the 215 rebuild over the holidays but
never got the chance.  Ended up working on other people's
(family and friends) vehicles.  Over the past two weeks, I
replaced 4 thermostats, 2 radiators, 1 alternator, repaired
a flat tire, did a complete brake job (servo, master cylinder,
rotors, pads, wheels bearings), fixed a blown head gasket,
repaired an ignition switch, and refurbished a distributor.

To cheer myself up myself, I decided to add to my collection
of parts of aluminum V8 parts so I drove to Tennessee and
brought back a pickup truck load of stuff, including:

  4 Buick 300 aluminum heads
  3 Buick 215 engines
  2 steel engine stands
  1 Buick 300 aluminum 4 bbl intake and Rochester 4GC carb
  1 D&D Fabrications aluminum bellhousing

The three 215 engines appear to be complete from carb to pan,
though one engine is missing a set of rods.  No biggie as I
already have several extra sets of rods.  The intakes are 2
barrel but they do have all the thermostat housings, fittings,
rear coolant elbows, etc.  I've got a couple of extra 4 barrel
manifolds but it might be fun to modify one of the 2 barrel
manifolds to take a junkyard 2 port throttle body fuel injection
set up.

I didn't figure out the 4 barrel intake and Rochester 4GC carb
are for a Buick 300 until I started unloading.  Sure wish I could
use it on the 215 since it looks to be a decent manifold.  Runners
are larger and the external finish is smoother.  Was someone
looking for a 300 intake for their P76 project?  Jan or Greg maybe?
The Buick 300 heads look very good.  No corrosion to speak of.
The bores on the blocks do show some minor surface rust but there's
no ridge.  I sprayed the sleeves and other iron and steel parts with
LPS-3 to stop any further rust.

I didn't know what the bellhousing was until I got there.  The seller
didn't know who made it and his description of the bolt pattern had
me confused.  Turns out it's one of Dan LaGrou's aftermarket bell
housings that mounts up a T5, T50, GM 4 speed, etc.  Nice piece and
it's brand new to boot.

Got lots of other parts (Buick 300 rods and pistons, timing covers,
exhaust manifolds, etc.) in the deal too.

Later,
Dan "Gotta buy all I can before those idiots start hoarding" Jones