carb. Range Rover conversion

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: carb. Range Rover conversion
From: Scott Donnelly <oharajem@free.midcoast.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:32:48 -0500
I am preparing to convert my 87 Range Rover from EFI to
carberator in an effort to gain simplicity and reliability.
Part of my problem is that the closest dealer is 75 miles
away. Therefore taking it in to be fault tested
becomes a major ordeal - someone needs to follow me down,
bring me back, X 2, etc... I do suspect the O2 sensors are
bad and I fret about the possibility and cost of replacing
the ECU, air flow meter, tps, etc... Unless I can do some of
my own basic trouble shooting, I am faced with a long ride
on a flat bed to the dealer in the event of a break down.
It's for these reasons that I am ready to go for the the
carb. set up. I've check out RPI Engineerings (UK) site and
talked with them about the conversion. No doubt that the
carb. is not the optimum in terms of efficiency. However, It
would seem that some reliability gains could be had??? I'll
be swapping to an Offenhauser dual port manifold with a
Holley 390cfm 4bbl. Anyone out their done this or have a
running a similar set up? Opinions?

Scott Donnelly
Camden, ME
87RR