Huffaker Engrg Manifold For Sale or Trade - Reply

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net, zwissler@hsonline.net,
Subject: Huffaker Engrg Manifold For Sale or Trade - Reply
From: Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:45:31 -0600
Ben,

As you may know, I've been looking into importing a Wilpower
single plane intake from Australia.  Given the very favorable
exchange rate (56 US cents = $1 Aus), it looks like I can
import for about the same or less than the cost of a new
Edelbrock or Performer.  However, I might be interested in
your Huffaker.   My phase II motor should displace around
290 cubes and might make better use of it.

As far as the commonly available intakes, I've heard a lot
of contradictory information.  I've got all the MGB V8 newsletters
and there are several people who tried both the Offy and the
Buick/Olds intakes and liked the Offy best.  Then there are
several others who came to opposite conclusion.  Also, a friend
races a stroked Olds 215 (266 cubes) and has two identical
motors, one with a home ported Buick/Olds intake and the other
with a port matched Edelbrock Performer.  He says he can't tell
the difference.

In my spare pairts bin, I have a like new Offy Dual Port
and a couple of clean Buick factory 4 bbls.  I was planning
on porting one of the Buick manifolds and testing all three
on the phase 1 motor, a 215.  However, that project is
grossly behind schedule.  If you're interested in a little
experimenting, I could be persuaded to let you borrow one
or more of the intakes for a test.  I noticed you're near
Indy and I go by there (on my way from St. Louis to Cincinnati)
fairly frequently.  If you like one of the intakes, perhaps we
could make a deal or trade for $$ or other parts I have
(stroker crank or Buick 300 heads or ?)..  Anyway, just
an idea.  Let me know if you are interested.

Later,
Dan Jones

>>> Ben/Pam Zwissler <zwissler@hsonline.net> 10/25 10:34 pm >>>
After two seasons of driving with the Huffaker manifold, I've decided that
its really not appropriate for the primary uses of my car.  I inherited
the
manifold when I got the car and many people told me that it wasn't any
good
for street use.  Although I was able to tune it to get acceptable street
performance, I'm sure I'm not taking full advantage of its performance
capability and I'm probably suffering some low end penalties.  I've also
decided I'd like to use the car more in colder weather, and its design
is
particularly unsuited for driving with a not fully warmed up engine.  So,
here's the deal:

What I have:  Original Huffaker Engineering/Leyland Racing single plane
intake manifold for Buick/Rover/Triumph 215.  Ideally suited for high RPM,
high flow racing applications.  Flows best above 3000rpm.  Includes two
Earl's stainless, braided, racing quality hoses connected to front coolant
ports.  These hoses collect coolant from the heads and deliver it to a
small
Offenhauser coolant manifold that mounts to the alternator bracket on my
TR8
installation.  The coolant manifold contains the thermostat and is where
the
top radiator hose connects.  The manifold is also tapped for a temperature
sensor and for a small fitting to connect the small hose to the factory
TR8
coolant bottle.  The left rear coolant port is also tapped and fitted with
nipple to allow connection through a tee into the heater hoses.  I'm told
this is done to improve the ability to bleed air bubbles from the cooling
system, but it was already done when I got the manifold.  I have seen the
replica of this manifold that is currently available, but this is an
original with the Huffaker and Leyland logos cast into the manifold on
either side of the carburetor.  Although the replica may or may not be
functionally equivalent, the finish of the original is much higher quality
IMHO.  I have a Holley 390 fitted (not included with the deal) but most
4-bbl carbs will fit.

What I'll Take in Trade:  $$$'s of course, but also looking for a
replacement manifold.  I'm aware of the JWR/Offenhauser and Edelbrock
manifolds and I'd like to hear opinions on the performance of both.  I
have
the Isky street cam, Silvolite 9.6:1 pistons, Holley 390, and tube steel
headers fitted.  I'm also running the Mallory Unilite distributor with
only
mechanical advance.  I'm trying to create a spirited daily driver with
occasional autocross capability.

For the serious racers out there, I'm also currently running a 3.9:1limited
slip rear end.  I'd rather have a 3.45 or maybe even the original 3.08,
but
would like to keep the limited slip feature.  The differential is of the
same vintage as the manifold, and I've been told its one of the original
Leyland racing units by Salsbury and imported in '80 or '81.  It works
OK,
but has the typical whine at about 60mph.  To cruise at typical freeway
speeds you have to turn 3500 rpm or more.  I drove the car 500 miles each
way to the TRF Summer Party and back and would have preferred to "loaf"
along at lower engine speeds.  Ideally, I think I'd like to trade for 3.45
limited slip rear end.  Any takers?

Ben Zwissler, zwissler@hsonline.net
Columbus, Indiana
1980 TR-8