[British-cars] help for our troops OT

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [British-cars] help for our troops OT
From: "mike" <mrajic@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:22:39 -0800
Seasons greetings to all.  This is way off-topic, so I hope the list members
won't mind.  I've posted this on a couple of forum sites and have received
great response.  Hopefully the response from list members will be equally as
good.  So far, we've managed to raise approximately $1700.00.  The following
is the intial posting:

I was moved by 2 stories I recently heard.  One directly and the other on
the TV.  Firstly, my oldest daughter is in a class with a boy who has a
brother serving with the Canadian forces (joint with US troops) in
Afghanistan.  His cel telephone bill was $700 in October, calling home to
keep in touch with family and friends.  Also, on TV I saw a story about a
couple of kids that raised several thousand dollars in their local community
(in Indiana I think???) to help out a soldier from their town that rang up
an $8000 phone bill.

This got me thinking and motivated.  I have a friend that distributes
pre-paid phone cards and may be able to give me a wholesale price on any
sized purchase I can make.  What I'd like to do is ask for small donations
from members/guests  and friends - $5, $10 or whatever change is in your
account, to purchase pre-paid phone cards for both the soldiers and families
at home.  All proceeds (after Paypal fees) would go to buy the cards and I
would send them off via our troop support organizations.  They would be
distributed in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere I would think.  I do not
profit at all and would do all the leg work for nothing, not that it's that
much anyway.  Also, there's no tax deductions for me or any donor.

If you can, great.  The easiest way to donate is through Paypal.  I've setup
a Paypal account - troopcalls@gmail.com.  I'll keep this open for a month or
so.  Whether you believe they should or shouldn't be there is not important.
The fact that they are is, especially to the families.  It looks like
they'll all be away for awhile yet as well. I'll post status updates with
amounts and donor names if so desired.  Anonymous is fine too.

If not, that's OK too.  Maybe you can help in other ways.   Feel free to
email me.  Thanks and happiest of Holidays to all!

Mike