RE: Turn signal switch questions (2 of 2)

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Turn signal switch questions (2 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:43:07 -0500
At 04:35 PM 12/21/2006 -0800, Randall wrote:

>Correction, the control head can be pulled out of the steering wheel without
>loosening the clamp at the steering box.  However, you need to take the
>subharness that runs through the stator tube loose, so it can pull into the
>stator tube as you pull the control head away from the steering wheel.  On
>my 58 TR3A there is some slack in the subharness, so I can pull the head
>away from the wheel enough to disassemble and service the head without
>disconnecting the wires at the inner fender.  YMMV.
>
>Removing the stator tube tends to be a major operation, because the
>compression gland at the steering box sometimes becomes one with the tube.
>Loosening the fitting also allows the gear oil to drip out of the steering
>box.  So IMO it's best to leave the stator tube alone unless it's broken or
>you need to service the steering box or column.  If you do take it loose, be
>sure it engages with the control head on reassembly, and the control head is
>turned so the lever sticks straight up before retightening the clamp nut.

I stand corrected.  On the 1800 you can't pull the hub without pulling the
stator tube.  The hub is screws to the stator tube.  To get enough slack
to get to the screws you have to release the clamp and carefully pull the
hub and stator tube.  But the time you get enough clearence to get to the
screws/bolts you may as well keep pulling the tube.  Plus we wanted to
rebuild the steering box.  So it had to come out any way. :)

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic