RE: Turn signal switch questions (2 of 2)

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turn signal switch questions (2 of 2)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:35:48 -0800
> Be very careful doing this.  I'm pretty sure there's a clamp
> at front of the
> steering box, that holds the stator tube in place.  You MUST
> undo that clamp
> BEFORE you try and pull the hub and stator tube out of the
> steering column.

Correction, the control head can be pulled out of the steering wheel without
loosening the clamp at the steering box.  However, you need to take the
subharness that runs through the stator tube loose, so it can pull into the
stator tube as you pull the control head away from the steering wheel.  On
my 58 TR3A there is some slack in the subharness, so I can pull the head
away from the wheel enough to disassemble and service the head without
disconnecting the wires at the inner fender.  YMMV.

Removing the stator tube tends to be a major operation, because the
compression gland at the steering box sometimes becomes one with the tube.
Loosening the fitting also allows the gear oil to drip out of the steering
box.  So IMO it's best to leave the stator tube alone unless it's broken or
you need to service the steering box or column.  If you do take it loose, be
sure it engages with the control head on reassembly, and the control head is
turned so the lever sticks straight up before retightening the clamp nut.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.