Re: Distributor recurving service?

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Distributor recurving service?
From: marcel chichak <chichm@telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:58:19 -0600
At 08:27 PM 11/09/2002 -0700, Mike Rambour wrote:
>At 08:52 PM 9/11/2002 -0600, marcel chichak wrote:
>>For a few years now I've had the idea of offering a mail-order distributor
>>rebuild and recurving service. The rebuild bit is no problem, even welding
>
>   you could have me for 2 distributors but how would you handle old cars
> where the owner and even the owners clubs don't have the specs ?  For
> example, I have 2 1934 Singer's, a 4cyl and a 6cyl but I don't have the
> specs nor does the various owners clubs.

Ah! Well, I've spent a considerable amount of my time compiling the
database you can find on my web page. It contains all the advance curve
data I have been able to track down over the years. But, if there are
springs in the distributor I can take the dimensions of the existing
spring, figure out the spring rate and work that backwards to an advance
curve, or, if everything is still working properly, read the curve
directly. The springs don't really wear out, but the free length does
change. That's a problem that shows up right away on the distributor machine.

>   Not trying to be negative but its just one thing to think about if you
> are going to do this as a business, you will get jerks like me with odd
> one of a kind cars that need your services and you should think about
> ahead of time.

Yea, I see the jerks our local Britcar mechanics have to deal with and I'm
not too eager to get in on that action. Although, from what I can
determine, the 'jerk' label is applied only after considerable expenditure
of mechanic time and customer money, usually on an ill-conceived project.
Discrete single part restorations shouldn't be like that... he said.... :-)

--Marcel Chichak    chichm@telusplanet.net
        Edmonton Alberta Canada, eh?
  Peek into my world: www.telusplanet.net/~chichm