Re: POR-15

To: cobra@scs.agilent.com, Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: POR-15
From: ARoman4047@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 05:01:37 EDT
POR-15 is a moisture-cured coating, unlike paint that dries by solvent
evaporation, POR-15 "dries" by bonding with the moisture in the air and
the surface it's on. I suspect it's a pigmented urethane, rather similar
to commercial floor coatings. POR-15 also has a metal prep (phosphoric
acid based), that they recommend for rusted surfaces before coating
with POR-15. After the POR-15 dries/cures, they recommend their own
brand of "tie coating" as a primer before top coating with a regular paint.
      I've used the stuff on both cars and outside metal (very old cast iron
fence, for example), and so far so good. The fence has had five years of
weathering, and still looks the same. I tried to get the stuff off, and reg-
ular paint stripper just cleaned the surface...YMMV...

Tony in NJ
W.A.S.T.E.