TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:21:40 EST
Well, patience pays off again.  After filling up the dashpots with PB Blaster
and letting them soak overnight, the mixture adjusting allen screws now turn
in both carbs.  Lots of crud inside the tube after 20 years.

I'll try to lean the carbs out today, maybe using the old "lift up the
piston" trick, or maybe the "propane into the throat of the carb" trick which
I've never done before.  Hey, don't start yelling at me yet!  I just want to
see if the carbs are at least in the ballpark in terms of mixture!...  But
you probably still have some comments anyway...

By the way, if you lift the piston, and the RPM's go down, is that too rich
or too lean?...

And one other question -- what's the thinking on dashpot oil these days?
I've always used Marvel Mystery Oil, but heaven knows what the weight is of
that stuff.  And I've seen posts where people use everything from ATF fluid
to regular motor oil.

Also, I assume a lighter oil will lean out the carbs when you accelerate, but
what about at a constant RPM, like idle, when they do the emission check?

On a historical note, I remember driving my dad's '63 MGB in 1972, cross
country back to college in California.  I stopped in the desert, some where
in the middle of nowhere, at a Fina gas station, and asked for some 20-weight
oil for the dashpots.  The guys at the station had never seen an MGB, so we
had quite a conversation as they checked out the dual carbs and the wire
wheels.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC