Looking for caliper spreader

To: alpines@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for caliper spreader
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:46:27 -0800
I'm going to change the pads on my brakes.  I've always done the no-no
thing of using a larger screwdriver and a thin block of wood to pry the
pistons back.  I'm figuring it's about time I get myself one of those
proper spreaders.  I just talked to Eastwood, and they have a aluminum
block with cam type edges that you rotate against the disk to push the
piston in.  I think the one they show in the Rootes handbook is a better
device - the one that is sort of a reverse C clamp, that has two fingers
that go in and simultaneously pushes the two pistons on each side out.

First, does anyone have any thoughts about if the Eastwood style is fine,
or if the Rootes type is better?

Second, does anyone know of any other sources for the Rootes type?  I know
Pep Boys and Napa do not carry it.

Thanks.

Jay