Re: Bullitt (not much LBC content)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bullitt (not much LBC content)
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:41:35 -0700
Hello everyone:

The cars were specially prepared but the Mustang was not a "high-priced"
one.  They had extensive suspension mods and engine work done to ensure
that they could handle the stunt work.  No standard Mustang could do what
that one did and stay on the road in one piece.  As to rear end judder -
try taking any powerful car with a live axle and floor it in reverse.
You'll find the best of them will be "loose".

The Dodge was a Charger as mentioned.  It was not a Hemi car but was a 440
(7.2 litres) - suitably prepared.  These cars were not faked and the scenes
were not faked.  This was long before the day of computer enhancements and
simulations.  The 440 engine was considerably lighter than the Hemi and
made better low-end power which was useful for the film.

The Rootes division of Chrysler Corporation built one decent performance
car which suffered from the terrible complications of the poor chassis and
body into which the Ford engine was thrust.  Unfortunately, the car was
discontinued before it could be improved or replaced with suitable Chrysler
know-how.

John (flame suit in place)

John