Re: Flame Wars IV, TR rebels strike back against the MG empire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flame Wars IV, TR rebels strike back against the MG empire
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 23:12:32 -0800 (PST)
**** Owning both a `55 TR2 and a `58 MGA, I feel uniquely qualified to comment
on this.  Compare & Contrast, here we go. Just a moment while I put on my
Nomex suit....

   *  The `2 is faster than the `A, with a 2.1 liter engine to the `A,s
      1488CC.  I've ``done the ton'' in this car, even before I even rebuilt
          the engine, going uphill.  And the engine had more where that came
          from.  I was just reluctant to rev it past redline.  The `A buzzes
          along at 4500 rpm just keeping up with freeway traffic.  The `2's
          engine makes a beautiful roar, and it keeps up with freeway
          traffic at a considerably more relaxed 3250 rpm.

   *  The `2's seats and suspension are plusher than the `A,s.  You don't
      sit as low in it.  It's easier to get in and out.

   *   This `2 stops better, because it has TR3 front disks, and I've
       rebuilt all the hydraulics.  I still remember the day after I did
           that:  my wife taking off down the street, hitting the brakes and
           yelling ``WOW!''

   *  The `A handles better than the `2;  it has rack & pinion steering, it
      goes where you point it.  When you push it too hard, and the rear end
          breaks loose, it still feels ``healthy''.  If there's nothing around
          to bang into, it's even fun. Mine originally came to me with bias-ply
          tires.  I used to play with it in empty parking lots. :-)  You sit
          really low in the `A.  The seat bottom is actually level with the
          *bottom* of the chassis.  So it has a low center of gravity, too.

   *  The `2 doesn't handle as well as the `A.  It has a loosy-goosy worm-gear
      steering box.  Even through I rebuilt it, there's still significant
          free play in the straight-ahead position.  This is because the worm
          track is deeper in the center than at the ends.  So if you were to
          adjust it for zero free play at the center, you wouldn't be able to
          turn the wheel lock to lock.
          It goes more or less where you want, if you keep
          correcting.  The front end has zero caster, and when you finish your
          turn, the only thing making the steering wheel return is the silly
          silentblock in the idler arm.  Oh, and your hands on the steering
wheel.
          When you push it too hard, it feels like the car is going to
          flip over the front wheel.  No fun at all! On balance, I would put
          the `2,s handling a notch or so above my old `60 Falcon.

   *  The `A feels like it's all one solid piece.  The `2, on the other hand,
      feels ( and sounds! ) like a collection of fairly casually bolted-
          together parts.  I call mine the Clankster.  One reason that the `A
          feels so tight, is that the floorboards are bolted directly to the
          chassis, and that's what you sit on, not on the body.  Whereas with
          the `2, the seat is bolted to the (thin, sheetmetal) body, which is
          separately bolted to the chassis.

   *  Styling:  This is subjective, of course.  But I've always felt that the
      `A seemed to be a single unified flowing  design, whereas the `2 is
          more a collection of styling ``features''.  As if the word came from
          Marketing: ``Its got to have cut-down doors, big swoopy fenders, a
          long hood, and bugeye headlights''.

         On balance, I have to say that I love both of these cars.  The `A is
         probably more at home on a mountain road, where you can push the
         handling and chassis, and the `2 is better in city traffic, with that
         big motor to blast you off when the light changes.

                                       - Jerry Kaidor