RE: British Cars Digest #1465 Tue Nov 29 01:15:00 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, blackcomet@aol.com
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1465 Tue Nov 29 01:15:00 MST 1994
From: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 07:08:04 PST
Chris (Blackcomet@aol.com) writes, " I have been having many
>electrical problems. The battery seems to drain constantly. I replaced the
>alternator and still nothing, any suggestions?

A long shot, maybe, but I had exactly the same symptom with the 79 Midget after
engine
rebuild.  Seems like I had reversed two leads to the alternator, and the
battery discharged
thru the alternator.  To diagnose, feel the alternator housing after the car
has been sitting
awhile with ignition switch off.  Mine was *noticably* warm to the touch.
Another
symptom was the loss of the alternator indicator light on dash.  It didn't
light in
the test mode when ignition was switched on before starting engine.  Replacing
the two leads
to proper terminals cured the symptom.  There are many other possiblities for
such a battery
drain, though.

Good luck,
Ray

Name: Ray W. James
Texas Transportation Institute
Civil Engineering Department, Texas A&M University
E-mail: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: 11/30/94
Time: 07:08:04