Re: Su carbs freezing up

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Su carbs freezing up
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 16:43:21 -0500
Some SU carbs came with electric heater straps which
clamp around the dashpot.  They were controlled by a
thermostat mounted on the bakelite plate between the
carb and the manifold.  One car for sure that had this
setup was the Austin America.  You might be able to get
some of these parts from someone with a Mini who has
been hoarding old Austin 1300 engines.  Your  dashpots
are much lrager, but they might be adaptable.  I think these
were fitted in an attempt to reduce emissions, so you
might be able to find them on a later model car to fit
your size carb.

On the Volvo 145's  that we drove a few years ago, I
would install tank heaters low down near the rear of the
engine.   The hose out the top of the heater I would route
in such a way so that it laid up against the 2 dashpots.
The water would circulate out of the block drain, through
the heater, then up past the carbs and into the head.
This works real well. but if you have to leave your car for
8 hours at work and don't have an outlet, you end up stuck
at work instead of stuck at home. I would rather be stuck
at home.

DOn

Obligatory British Content section.
Now that winter has arrived here in the Great White North, I am experincing
the HD8s on the ol' Rover freezing up. By that I mean that, overnight, the
piston is freezing in the dashpot and will not move. This makes startup a
messy affair of mutiple pots of hot water over the carbs to free up the
works. Anyone has any suggestions for a more permanent cure?

Vers
Vern