Re: If Lucas Built computers...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: If Lucas Built computers...
From: Richard Smith <richard+1b5d11@mole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 07:14:27 +0000
>Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 21:52:13 -0800
>From: island@whidbey.net (Judith Winter)
>Subject: If Lucas built computers, ....?
>
>does this person need to be warned about shipwright's disease of the other
>lbc (little boxy computer)?

<snip>

>Hidden clue for the person who had to re-read the post about the lbc
>leaking oil onsomeone's desk in last few weeks: notice the poster's name.

Lucas did at one time build computers! Their Lucas Logic division bought
the rights to a lbc (little british computer) known as a Nascom - don't
know where that name came from, but I had one in about 1980 (still have it,
come to think of it) and was initially overjoyed to know that an industrial
giant was looking after the Nascom. Their support didn't last long,
however......

ob.lbc: For Vaughn Scott, removing the cylinder head from his TR7 - good luck.

As most will know, the head studs on these (and Snag) engines need to be
pulled before you can get the head off. The studs are usually corroded into
the head. No amount of swearing seems to shift them.

The trick here is to get a piece of thin-walled steel tube the same
internal diameter as the head stud, and about an inch or so longer than the
stud, cut saw teeth into one end of it, put the other end in an electric
drill, and run that down the stud before you try to unscrew it. An oilcan
filled with diesel fuel is handy to dribble down the stud/head gap to
lubricate the threads as they come out.

Richard Smith