Astras and BL

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Astras and BL
From: "Mark N. Pacey" <M.N.Pacey@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 14:23:54 +0000
I haven't quite worked out how to get the most from e-mail yet, so
please excuse that this is a new message, not a reply.  But is is in
reply to Jody tr7@io.org-Toronto.

In the UK the car Opel called the Kadett and replaced the Chevette
(assuming the car we call a Chevette is the same as the one you call a
Chevette) was called the Vauxhall Astra and they were built at
Ellesmere Port, near Liverpool, England.  They stopped making them in
1984, which might be why you can't find one new!  (Though the Koreans
might still be building them).  Its replacement was itself replaced in
1990, all three cars being the Vauxhall Astra or the Opel Kadett,
excepting the MkIII which is the Vauxhall and the Opel Astra.

Are you suggesting BL had quality problems?  (Tongue firmly in
cheek).  Actually the BL cars I have had came from either side
of the worst period (a 1972 Mini and a 1980 Maxi).  About which I'd
like some advice please.  The Maxi is making a drumming noise from
the front end, which starts at about 30mph and disappears on left
hand corners.  I have changed the left hand wheel bearing and the
noise is unchanged.  The driveshaft moves about 0.25" in all
directions, so has a CV joint gone.  I've run out of ideas on this
one.  Postings here or to me personally would be equally appreciated.

Mark (M.N.Pacey@sheffield.ac.uk)