Re: UFO (was British Cars Digest #1456 Mon ....)

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu ("W. Ray Gibbons")
Subject: Re: UFO (was British Cars Digest #1456 Mon ....)
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 10:25:15 PST
>On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Dana Nojima (CBN) wrote regarding:
>
>> > Subject: SOL - the next generation
>> >
>> > The 11 year old TF owner brings to mind the issue of something I'll
>> > call "unknown future owners" (UFO). What will happen to our hobby in,
>
>> My guess is that much of car collecting has to do with memories.  I began
>
>> My guess is that our current image of LBCs will be what
>> my feelings are towards a 40 Ford or Model A or T, which is indifference.
>>
>> I picture that this generation may be collecting Mi**tas and 300Zs and
>> Land Rover Discoveries.
>>

>Although I agree that memories have a lot to do with car values, I don't
>agree that interest in lbcs will fall off to levels as low as current
>interest in Model T's.  As people get to the age where they can afford

>But memories are not the only force affecting value.  I used to have Model
>A's, and I liked them even though I did not remember them as new cars.  I
>gave them up when it became apparent that they were increasingly unsuited
>for modern traffic.  That is even more true of Model T's.  I don't know

I still have lingering memories of being perched atop all the family
positions in the back seat of a Model A during a trip along Pacific
Coast from Washington State to LA just after WW II.  This was when
driving the coast meant Highway 1.  The trip took the better part of a
week, if I recall.  Our cruising speed was something like 35mph.  During
this trip we kept passing a sailor, still in uniform, hitchhiking the
same route.  There wasn't enough room in our packed Model A to give him
a ride but we did waved to each other as we crossed paths, which usually
happened several times a day.  I don't recall who won that race but the
sailor "on foot" was easily making as good a time as we were.

>Most of our LBC's can keep up with traffic as they are, or can be made to
>keep up with modifications that don't destroy the essential character of
>the cars.  There is room for new owners to appreciate them for what they
>are, not simply for what they remember them as being.  In my teens, I

Plus these cars will still be simple enough for ordinary humans with a bit of
mechanical aptitude skill to work on them themselves.

>  Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics

Roland