fuses fuses fuses

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: fuses fuses fuses
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 10:12:45 PST
I upgraded my 67 TR4A from the original two fuse system (well, actually
three, there's an inline holder in the horn circuit), adding an
additional two-fuse holder for the headlamps. I did this concurrent
with adding Lucas relays for the headlamps (upgraded to 100/80 H4) and
the driving lamps I was installing. I put the high beams on one
circuit, and the low beams and driving lamps on the other.

In the TR, I mounted everything under the dash, on the driver's side.
This let me insert the new circuitry without cutting any wires, just in
case I should ever want to remove it all (I can't imagine why I would,
though). I used 35amp fuses for each additional circuit.

It took me a while to figure out just how and where to mount this so it
was least intrusive. I know that later Bs have more fuses; I don't know
how much the wiring harness changed to support them, but perhaps you
can take a cue from what the factory did.

I'm also upgrading the Morris's wiring, in a similar fashion. It has
two fuses only, protecting even less of the wiring. There is evidence
of a previous burnout in the headlamp circuit. There, the easiest thing
turns out to be installing a Marchal fused relay in the lead from the
light switch to the headlamp dip switch. The foot-operated dipswitch is
a very heavy duty unit, so I'm not afraid of it failing under the
current, but the dash switch (and wiring to it) is pretty wimpy. The
Marchal unit is very cute in that it has an internal fuse, and can be
spliced into almost any circuit quite easily. I'm also adding two other
fuses in an original-style fuse holder to protect the running lights and fog
lamps.

I added the same Marchal relay to the GT6's high beam circuit, since
I'm running 100/55 lamps on that car and don't trust the wiring going to the
column mounted dipswitch...