Re: British Cars Digest #1456 Mon Nov 21 16:13:40 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1456 Mon Nov 21 16:13:40 MST 1994
From: "Dana Nojima (CBN)" <noji@lenti.med.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 12:39:36 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: SOL - the next generation
>
> The 11 year old TF owner brings to mind the issue of something I'll
> call "unknown future owners" (UFO). What will happen to our hobby in,
> say, 40 years?  Will there be a new generation of SOL's? Will LBC
> collectors go the way of Model T collectors? Speaking from recent
> experience in settling my father's estate, demand has evaporated for
> restored Ford Model T's, even prize winning show cars. There are
> simply fewer and fewer folks who have fond memories of these cars, and
> the folks who do retain good memories already own a car(s). Et tu,
> LBC's?
>
> In our British car club there is one member in his 20's, the other thirty or
>so
> are all in their late 30's thought 60's. What's the SOL experience with
>younger
> owners? Any suggestions on how to increase their involvement or awareness of
> the hobby? Or do we let nature take its course? (I'm pleased to see
> several members of this list are students -- there's hope!)

My guess is that much of car collecting has to do with memories.  I began
driving legally in 1971.  My first cars in high school were a 56 Chevy
Bel-Air, then a 60 Chevy and finally a 66 Mustang.

I had always wanted a small sports car, but my father, who was an auto
body man refused to allow me to own any foreign metal.  He believed that
mass=safety.  So it wasn't until many years later that I got the car that
I wanted in high school.  The question of what will happen in 40 yrs to
LBC collecting?  My guess is that our current image of LBCs will be what
my feelings are towards a 40 Ford or Model A or T, which is indifference.

I picture that this generation may be collecting Mi**tas and 300Zs and
Land Rover Discoveries.

Dana