SOL - the next generation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SOL - the next generation
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:02:22 -0400 (EDT)
The 11 year old TF owner brings to mind the issue of something I'll call
"unknown future owners" (UFO). What will happen to our hobby in, say, 40 years?
Will there be a new generation of SOL's? Will LBC collectors go the way of
Model T collectors? Speaking from recent experience in settling my
father's estate, demand has evaporated for restored Ford Model T's, even
prize winning show cars. There are simply fewer and fewer folks who have fond
memories of these cars, and the folks who do retain good memories already own a
car(s). Et tu, LBC's?

In our British car club there is one member in his 20's, the other thirty or so
are all in their late 30's thought 60's. What's the SOL experience with younger
owners? Any suggestions on how to increase their involvement or awareness of
the hobby? Or do we let nature take its course? (I'm pleased to see
several members of this list are students -- there's hope!)

With that said, let me add that I'm not troubled by the issue, as I view my TD
as a recreational, educational and historical venture, and a source of pride --
it's not intended to turn a profit, nor can I guarantee its future with a UFO.
(gee, I guess I'm stating the obvious here...).

Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, and here's hoping for at least one nice LBC
driving day over the coming long weekend.

                -Doug

* Doug Phillips (Douglas.W.Phillips@Williams.edu)/Williamstown, MA/ '52 MG TD *