Re: TR7 valves->pistons

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu, tr-8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, scottv@rpi.edu
Subject: Re: TR7 valves->pistons
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 09:02:00 -0500
>       Is there anyone out there who knows if it is possible for the valves
>on a TR7 to hit the pistons with the camshaft disconnected from the crank?
>(i.e., like when the timing chain breaks)  Or, is there enough clearance
>for the valves to open all the way with the piston at TDC and yet not hit
>the piston?
>       I am asking this question because I have some valves (particularly
>intake valves) sticking in the down position and I fear that this has
>happened. If this is not possible, does anyone know how I can unstick these
>valves, short of pulling the head?  Thanks...

>Vaughan Scott      scottv@rpi.edu

Sorry, Vaughan.  I don't know about the valve/piston clearance on the TR7
motor, but I think I can help with the sticking valves.  Try some top end
oil in the fuel.  One type that I have used is made by CD-Alomite (or
something similar) and is marketed as a replacement for lead in gasoline.
It comes in a ~16 oz. jug with a small measure on one top corner to measure
one oz. at a time.  You might also ask at your favorite parts store.

-Jim.
----
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   Email:  jab@netrix.com
Netrix Corporation                    '92 Honda Accord
13595 Dulles Technology Drive         '76 Triumph TR7
Herndon VA  22071        Give Blood -- It's a great feeling!