(How not to) Tow using receiver hitch

To: british-cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: (How not to) Tow using receiver hitch
From: Kevin Meek <kevnmeek@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 08:14:33 -0800 (PST)
Just to comment on the excellent advice I have seen here lately
regarding towing:

I agree that the frame mounted receiver type hitch is the best to
use.  However, I had a rental trailer come loose from my Suburban
last weekend.  I was lucky that the safety chains held the trailer
from totally breaking free.  I found that the hitch pin and retaining
clip (which holds the tow bar and ball) was gone, and therefore the
tow bar pulled right out of the receiver.

I have used these for many years, and never had this sort of problem
before.  I really don't see how that pin could have come out.
I am considering replacing the whole thing with a grade 8 bolt to
prevent this from re-occurring.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Kevin Meek (kevnmeek@netcom.com)    Sunbeam Tiger B382002202
Santa Cruz, California            Sunbeam Alpine SI B9011324