Re: British Cars Digest #1446 Mon Nov 14 01:15:01 MST 1994

To: Dan Ness <MORRISGARAGE@delphi.com>
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1446 Mon Nov 14 01:15:01 MST 1994
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 02:14:10 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 16 Nov 1994, Dan Ness wrote:

> I am looking at purchasing some new chrome wires for my '65 B and I have
> heard a few rumors that possibly stainless steel wires might be a better
> option as the chrome tends to be brittle.  Has anyone had any bad experiences
> with the chrome wires?  Stainless wires?

Chromium plating can cause hydrogen embrittlement of steel, which is why
it isn't usually a good idea to have wire wheel spokes plated at your
local plating shop unless they know how to "cook" the parts after
plating.  On the other hand, a wheel that comes plated from the factory
(Dunlop, Dayton, or whoever) can be assumed to have been done properly
and therefore safe.

Stainless steel spokes avoid the embrittlement problem, and have the
added advantage that they don't rust.  I think Dayton chrome wires use
stainless spokes, while Dunlops use chrome (but could be wrong).  If you
plan to have your existing wheels plated, you'd be wise to use stainless
spokes just to be safe.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu