Step 4: With a Little Help From My Friends.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Step 4: With a Little Help From My Friends.
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 94 16:41:33 MST
Sunday was more of the same, but with some company.  Bob stopped in to
check on progress before heading off for the Donkos game, giving me some
warnings on what to expect when pulling off the front engine cover.  I
pulled the water pump and used his air gun to remove the main pulley.
Tris delights in cleaning things so I gave his an little oil can with
some solvent in it and set him to work outside despooging the water
pump.  At 1, Scotty showed up with some subs for lunch and Johannes, our
big Dutch gearhead^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hgeography professor friend visiting
from UCLA who was our ringer for the Lucas Flamethrower Rally a few
weeks ago, pulled in shortly afterwards to help out.  After gawking at
the shop for awhile, I showed them how to lap the valves.  Everyone,
including Tris, got a shot at lapping until Scotty decided that it was
so much fun that he was taking over the operation.

Johannes and I tackled the front cover and it turned out to be much
harder to pull than I expected.  I unbolted all the bolts, then doubled
up two nuts to removed the 4 studs which join it to the oil pan.  Still
it just didn't want to come off.  It was nice having a couple
disassembled engines sitting around to look over to make sure we had all
the bolts and studs off.  We worked on the front cover carefully with my
BFScrewdrivers and finally got it to pop off over the main seal.  I
dropped it in the solvent bath to soak and we removed all the rubber
hoses that we could reach to take to our parts man to replace.

I fished around in the oil pan with a long magnet and retrieved the
missing bit from the chain, but also came up with a few disturbing
casting chunks.  As an excuse to work the lift, we decided to drain the
oil.  Soon the Daimler was 6 feet in the air and draining oil.  Further
fishing in the oil only turned up some very small slivers.  At this
point, it was time to halt work pending further consultation with Bob.
We ohhed and ahhed over Scotty's beautiful valve work, then cleaned up
and played speed racer on the backroads back to Boulder to catch the end
of the Broncos game (Around these parts, if they win, they're the
Broncos and if they lose, they're called the Donkos until they win
again).

--- exploit.net.knowledge.section -----------------------------------

As things sit now, I'm looking at three choices: A) Drop the suspension
and lower the oil pan to install a continuous lower chain or B) Split
the existing chain and install a master-linked lower chain or C) Simply
leave the old lower chain in place.

A) is nontrivial and means that I am only 1/4 of the way thru the job.
   I will end up with a continuous lower timing chain and I will have a
   whack at freshening up the lower bearings, but it involves getting
   much deeper into this project than I'd like to be.  My clock runs
   out Nov 24th when I head to Canberra for a week.

B) means that that I am 1/2 way done, but will have a potentially weaker
   master-linked lower chain.

C) I'm not really comfortable with this option given what just happened
   with the old upper chain.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this from any interested parties.

/\      Lawrence "Can someone send me sections 5 & 6 of this
  \_][              story?  I'd like to know how it all turns out." Buja