GT6 restoration (bodywork)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 restoration (bodywork)
From: Kieron Brown <kieron@acfd.bris.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 94 00:12:59 GMT
I'm a fairly new owner of a 1972 GT6 Mk3. This is my first
mailing since I joined the list, when I bought the car, just
over a month ago.

The bodywork is sound, however it needs attention
in a few areas and I am uncertain as to which is the best
way to bring it up to A1 rust free condition.

The problem areas are as follows:

 - The rear roof panel around the base of the tailgate collects
   water (I don't own a garage) and the condition of the ridge
   has deteriorated as a result. As a temporary measure, to stop
   leakages, the gap underneath the furflex (the gap appeared when the
   rust was sanded away) was fibreglassed, smoothed off with filler
   then painted with a thick coat of smoothrite (one for the bodge list)
   and I refitted the furflex using a waterproof sealant.
   Were there originally some kind of drainage holes at the corners
   of the ridge?
   If not, is the only solution a good paint job followed by
   plenty of waxing to safely hold the puddle (after of course
   replacing the fibreglass with metal)!
   I had thought of a car cover but it is likely to get pinched
   being parked in a street in Bristol (UK).

 - The seams around the bonnet are a little rusty, but the panels
   either side of the seams are in good condition.
   Would one of those rust "dissolvers" (like the ones
   in the Frost and Eastwood Company catalogues which leave behind
   a zinc compound) be sufficient to get in between the spot welds
   and eliminate ALL the rust, or will the bonnet need rebuilding?

Any suggestions or previous experience on the above problems
will be much appreciated.

Kieron Brown