Healey Turn Signals

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey Turn Signals
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 21:55:51 -0500
Thanks to those who responded to my request for
information about the stator tube for the Austin Healey
3000 turn signals.

Following several suggestions, I bought a 5' length of
3/8" od steel brake line, cut off the flanged ends, and cut a
4" x 1/8" slot at one end using a cutoff bit on a Dremel
MotoTool.  It fit perfectly.  Cost wise it would probably have
been cheaper to buy a stator tube from the Healey Surgeons
because the MotoTool cost about $60.  The MotoTool is
great, though.  I follow the philosphy that, if given a choice
between paying to have some work done and buying the tool
to do it yourself, I buy the tool.

While I had the trafficator unit out, I took it apart on the
kitchen table, cleaned it, lubricated it with silicone grease, and
put it back together. Both turn signals work, the horn works much
better now that it has a good ground, and the right turn signal
cancels itself nicely (almost) every time.  The left turn signal,
however, does not cancel.  The way the unit is built, it appears that
the pawl which is supposed to cancel the signal, is being pulled
away from the hub when you straighten the wheels after a left turn,
and toward the hub when you come out of a right turn.  Any Healey
owners have any experience with this?

Thanks
Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com