Rubber to chrome bumper conversion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rubber to chrome bumper conversion
From: cedwards@pinn.net
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 20:31:16 -0500 (EST)
I have converted a '77 MGB to chrome bumpers.  It was my car which John
Trindle saw at the Berkeley Plantation show - which he referred to as a
Frankenmobile.  I am quite happy with the changes the car is undergoing
and lowering is among the planned changes.  It's interesting to note that
the officials at the show didn't notice the ride height.  It's only
apparent when parked next to an MGB which is lower.

        The turn signals/park lights are not a problem.  The fenders are
cut out to accept them, but the hole is too large.  I have fabricated a
larger lamp-to-body gasket which extends beyond the lamp by approx 1/8"
on each side.  This effectively obscures the hole.

        I have removed all side lights from the car, welded in patches,
and finished them such that it is not apparent to state inspectors - or
anyone else - that such lights were ever there.

        The most perplexing problem is encountered at the rear of the
car.  MGBs manufactured prior to 1975 have rear fenders which are convex
to match the outward curve of the bottom of the taillights.  This
protrusion is absent in the case of rubber-bumpered cars and must be
fabricated.

        An earlier grille can be fitted if the brackets which supported the
rubber bumpers are partially ground off.

Cheers.
Charles Edwards