Tow vehicles & Midget Rotors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow vehicles & Midget Rotors
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 94 09:56 EST
Subject : Tow vehicles :

I used to tow my pro-rally car with a Jeep Wrangler for about 2 years (not
advisable).
After looking for a decent tow vehicle for a few months I finally decided to
get a
Chevy Astro Conversion van. I can now tow at 70MPH quite comfortable and with
a fuel economy of about 18-20 MPG. The trailer wieghs approx 1800 lbs and the
car
is 2400lbs all up. Sure on steep grades I have to slow down, and I never try to
force
the van to do anything it does not feel comfortable doing. I.E. I let the van
accelerate
at its own rate, without mashing the trottle, and on gentle up hill on the
freeways,
I just let the van slow down slightly.

On a recent trip to Ohio (600 miles), I managed to cover the distance in just
on
11 hours.  The other advantage of a conversion van, is that it has a bed in the
back,
so while I am driving, my co-driver is sleeping, and vice versa. It also has a
video
and TV, so makes those long journey seem somewhat shorter.

I bought the van used, and around this time of year they seem to be cheaper (the
summer vacs are over - so no need for a van anymore !)

It also make a great van for camping.

Subject: resurfacing midget brake rotors

> Can Midget (77) brake rotors be resurfaced??  They look very thin to start
> with and mine are quite scored, can they stand having anything taken off?

Midget rotors are so cheap ($20 each), that it is not worth having them refaced,
so replace them.

gerry