Re Roger G's Summer Vacation--Riley

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Roger G's Summer Vacation--Riley
From: ad008@lafn.org (Paul Horkin)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 13:01:09 -0800

          Regarding Roger Garnett's "Summer Vacation"
          published 11 OCT, I know the Riley mentioned
          in his report.  A good friend of mine
          maintains the car and has penned the following
          note regarding this vehicle.

          To: Brit-Cars/Roger Garnett.

          From:  Bill Hoskins, EX-WORKS, LTD,
          Chatsworth, CA.

          Glad you enjoyed the Monterey Historics.  In
          ref to the Riley you saw--(the) car is owned
          by Larry Hale, Beverly Hills, CA (Yes, it
          really is 91210!), an active member of VARA
          (Vintage Auto Racing Association).  I Helped
          out with the maintenance & campaigning chores.
          Basically a British "Hot Rod" (Kids over here

          built Model A's--kids over there built
          Rileys), it was assembled sometime in the
          early 50's by a bloke by the name of Joe
          Beasley (sp?), using a 1929 Riley "Monaco"
          (sedan) chassis, shortened to 100" wheelbase
          with the rear half of the frame inverted
          (underslung), a 1935 Riley "12/4" (1500cc)
          engine & gearbox (not a preselector,
          unfortunately), and home-made coachwork,
          aluminum over wood (what else?).  After an
          apparently long (and one hopes, illustrious)
          career in the UK, the car was sold over here
          via Barry Gilles, the British Riley Maven,
          about 9 years ago.  The car changed hands 3 or
          4 times, partially restored, before being
          acquired by Mr. Hale.  Bim Shook of Orange
          county (CA) handled the mechanical changes
          (converted to insert bearings & fitted with 4
          Amal carburetors), and the forward portion of
          the coachwork was most ably replaced (to
          original specification) by Urs Gretner of Long
          Beach (CA), panel beater par excellance.

          The car's initial outing was at Monterey
          '93--After some minor "teething problems"
          (gearbox, mostly), the car is finally coming
          right.  I have a few things to do this winter,
          and we should get a full season out of the
          beasty next year.  I have maintained many cars
          over the years, but I must confess to a
          weakness for "proper" vintage cars, from an
          era when men and radiators were upright!!

          God willing and the river don't rise, I might
          even have my own personal piece of British
          esoterica ready for next year--a 1963 Sunbeam
          "IMP"!  Since my business is vintage racing
          restorations, I need a rolling advertisement
          for the shop.  This will be my 5th IMP, but
          the first as a full-bore racer.  Current
          projects include a Series III Lotus Elan coupe
          to 26R specs, 1951 Simca "HUITSPORT" to racing
          specs, a Lola T140 F5000 car, and (pending) a
          1963 Corvette roadster for vintage racing.
          Also getting ready to commerce work on a
          'Mystery" car--alleged to be late 50's/early
          60's Jaguar Special, possibly Ex-Team Rhodesia
          car:  2.4 liter engine, D-type head, Moss box,
          Salisbury back axle, tube frame (put together,
          apparently, by an ex-Maserati fabricator!)
          very "bird-cage"-ish, cobbly coachwork--car
          supposedly smuggled out of Rhodesia into South
          Africa, thence to Singapore, apparently into
          Canada from there, where we found it in
          Vancouver!

          If you make it to Monterey again next year.
          look me up.  If anyone is going to Palm
          Springs, I'll be there with a red Austin-Healy
          100-4 (#104)--Stop by and say hello.

          Home before Dark!  B.
          (Bill Hoskins)

          Respectfull Submitted to the List by Paul
          Horkin, adoo8@lafn.org.