Wheel Collision Center experience

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Wheel Collision Center experience
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 15:17:43 -0500 (EST)
I hit a _deep_ pothole with my TR8 a couple of weeks ago which dented
one of my aftermarket rims (I think they're PanaSports).  Since 14"
alloy rims on a TR7/8 bolt circle don't just grow on trees, I sent it off
to the Wheel Collision Center to get repaired.  I got it back the
other day.  I may be something of a nitpicker, but I'm not too happy.

On the bright side, it looks like they trued it up nicely.

On the down side,
  a) The packing job was not very great
  b) They did not buff the corrosion off one side of the rim (the side
     that they worked on was buffed, and they just noted the presence
     of corrosion on the packing list).
  c) For a simple straightening they charged me more than quoted.
  d) The wheel came back with a 1/2" paint chip on the crown of one
     of the spokes.

As for c, they initially gave a $75 estimate for straightening (which
is the going rate; everone quoted me that amount).  They upped that to
$85 once they looked at the wheel.  I wouldn't complain about this
except for the other stuff.

I'm very unhappy about the chip; it wasn't there when I shipped the
wheel off to them.  They claim it was there when they unpacked it
and since I didn't want the $40 cosmetic job, it's too bad.  It's
true that the wheel had some small paint chips, but not this one.

Maybe I'm unrealistic, but this doesn't seem like a great deal to me.
For close to a hundred bucks I would have expected a better level of
customer service.

I've talked to them about it.  They just told me to call back when
the owners are around.

Next time I'll try Ye Olde Wheel Shop.
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu