Nash Healey cylinder head

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Nash Healey cylinder head
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 11:58:43 -0500
Sorry, I lost my file containing the person's name who wanted '51 Nash
Healey info.  I'm going from memory.  This is basically a Nash Ambassador
engine with a modified aluminum cylinder head using two S.U. carburetors.
The push rod length is different, rocker arm support blocks are changed and
there is some difference in the valve guide lock rings.  The head has steel
valve inserts.  Otherwise the engines are identical to the passenger car
variety.  That is both good news and bad news.

The good news is that Nash Ambassador engines are easy to find.  The bad
news is that the Healey aluminum cylinder heads are difficult to find.
Some owners have elected to use the passenger car cast iron head that went
into production in mid-1953 when it became an option for the Ambassador.
This head will accept the duel carburetors and looks almost identical to
the original.  Also, being cast iron, this head has obvious advantages.

I'm fairly confident I can locate a cast iron head, but the original
aluminum head is a different story.  I can provide more details on carb
set-up, tune-up, adjustments, etc. if you need this info.  Let me know if I
can be of assistance.

The Nash Healey has a tendency to overheat in stop and go traffic due to
the small radiator and poor air circulation, but it is fun at speed.
Lifting the bonnet brings about a variety of problems due to the limited
space.  Any required adjustments in this crowded area are best accomplished
out of ear shot of the neighbors.  This will reduce the possibility of a
passerby overhearing your foul language.

(I worked for a Nash dealer from late '51 to early '54 (the glory years)
and still drive the breed.)

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)