Tow vehicle/Smog check

To: british-cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow vehicle/Smog check
From: Kevin Meek <kevnmeek@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 08:28:38 -0800 (PST)
>Berry Kercheval wrote:

>Suburbans are GREAT for this.  With Daren's (ex)Godzilla and a 4,500 pound
>Bentley on a trailer, I *still* managed to pass vehicles while going up
>hill!

Quite true.  As the present owner of that Suburban I towed a heavy
rental trailer loaded with a '39 Plymouth to San Francisco with no
problem - went over the local "hill" (Hwy 17) at speed.

OTOH, this vehicle has never gotten over 8mpg since I have had it, and
it doesn't matter whether you are pulling a load or driving it around
empty.  YMMV (but mine doesn't!)

When Daren took Godzilla in for a smog check before I bought it, the
guy wouldn't pass it because his machine showed the timing to be 99
degrees BTDC (duh! - he was using the wrong spark plug wire), and
he had to take it to another place to get it passed.

OB Brit car content: If everything goes well, I will get to use the
Sub soon to pick up (yet) another car (!!!)
Kevin Meek                       1960 Sunbeam Alpine Series I
kevnmeek@netcom.com                         1976 Jaguar XJ12L
Santa Cruz, California      1975 Suburban & 1986 Volvo 740GLE