Jaeger TR speedo

To: Bwfox@aol.com
Subject: Jaeger TR speedo
From: blaced@CHMA.CIBA.COM (D. Lacey)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 94 11:49:40 +0100
>Oblig BC stuff: Anyone ever do any work on a Jaeger TR speedo?  The
>needle on mine will not return to zero at rest and moves sluggishly
>when it does move.  If I disconnect the cable, the needle falls back
>to zero fine.  I have removed the unit from the dash, opened it and

Barry and all,

I have exactly the same problem, I have 2 speedos for my 4A, and both
exhibit this behaviour where as soon as you touch it everything is fine.
In fact  one of mine is an alround Virtual Reality dial as it reads high
all the time (they have the same number). Have dismantled and cleaned
both and they seem perfect, put them back in the car---same old story.
I worked with a guy who used to work for lucas, and he told me how they
calibrated speedos. The magnet behing the alluminium disc is always too
strong (i.e. they read very high). The finished speedo was placed in a
jig with a known speed drive, the operator had to set a target MPH on the
speedo, the jig was surrounded by a large "degaussing" coil and the operator
was able to pulse this coil to demagnetise the spinning magnet in the speedo
head, therefore lowering the needle position to the target MPH.
I guess Jaeger did the same...

This doesnt help us much other than to suggest that there is no mechanical
way of adjusting them (needle repositioning and return spring fiddling are
trial and error methods I guess..).

All I can say is, if you do get some info, let me know if you solve the
problem.

Cheers

Dave Lacey  '67 TR4A CTC 77965O  (probably doing 25 mph in the car park as
we speak!).