Re: Yet more TD questions

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: Yet more TD questions
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 00:38:48 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Will Zehring wrote:

> -How difficult and/or expensive would it be to have the gauges in a 1950 MG
> TD repaired?  Does Nisonger do this work?  Any experience out there with this?

Nisonger has been doing them for many years, so is very familiar with
chronometric speedos and tachs.  The price will depend on how much work
each gauge requires.

> -How about swapping the existing rear end with an MGA rear end?  I've heard
> this can be done and that it makes the car a bit more drivable at high
> speeds without loosing low speed acceleration rates.

The cleanest swap involves modifying the TD axle to accept MGA gears.
Moss Motors used to sell kits of all the necessary parts, plus detailed
instructions. You _can_ swap in a complete MGA rear axle, but it's a
couple of inches wider than the TD axle so the cart doesn't look right.
The spring mounts need to be altered, and something (I forget what) has
to be modified in order to hook up the brakes.  The MGA has larger drums,
so the front/rear brake balance is upset (unless you put MGA brakes on
the front as well).

There are several different MGA ratios available, but unless all your
driving is on flatlands (or unless you really _like_ Model A Ford
performance), I wouldn't go any taller than 4.875:1.  This lowers revs a
useful amount, but doesn't hurt acceleration too badly.  4.875:1 was
standard on the TD Mk II and TF, neither of which had much more power than
a standard TD (57 hp compared to 54).  Some owners put in taller grearing,
but IMHO it turns the TD into a real slug.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu