Pregnancy gives Greg M. odd cravings

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Pregnancy gives Greg M. odd cravings
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 16:51:53 -0500 (EST)
I am posting this to the list so that our helpful friend Greg can get more
balanced responses from those who have had better experience with 4 wd
than I.  Fire up your flame throwers.

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Greg Meboe wrote:

> Oh on a related note, Dianne and I looked last night at a 1986 Ford
> Bronco Eddie Bauer and would like the net opinion on how good they are.
> It is in real nice shape, and has 139,000 mi.  I think we can get it for
> $5000, so I am very tempeted.  Of course, astute readers will realize

I once bought a very clean 10 year old full size Blazer with only 70K
miles, owned by a little old lady who took painstaking care of it.  I
would say that the only thing that could be more trouble, more often, than
a recovered theft XJ6 would be a high mileage full-size 4 wd.

Full size Blazers and Broncos are similar in concept.  I have driven both.
They are higher than they need to be, and too wide for their length.  The
suspension is primitive, and the suspension travel is minimal.  Because of
its width to length ratio, my Blazer would swerve alarmingly if one side
simply hit a puddle.  It bottomed out and pitched alarmingly on even
modest bumps.  (And yes, I had everything checked).  They are a pain to
get into or out of.  Rear seat access is especially poor.  Luggage
capacity is modest, considering the size of the vehicle, and you have to
struggle with a 100 pound tailgate to get at it.  You will get *tired* of
putting the playpen, etc. in the back of one of these.  They are poor tow
vehicles, IMHO, because their wheelbase is comparatively short.  I believe
they are miserable motor vehicles for everyday use on the road.  Mine was
not a lot better off the road; it was too wide and too big.  Coming over a
hill top, I could not see over the hood and had no idea what was ahead.

> 2.5 litre over Thanksgiving break, :-(  as we'll have to be pretty tight with
> our cash for the rest of the schoolyear if we get this truck.

If it turns out anything like my Blazer did, cash will be short as long as
it is in the driveway.

> OBLIGATORY BRITCAR CONTENT:
>
>       I also called my old boss to see if he has any good series III's
> on the lot. (XJ-6 that is).  I figure that could be a good alternative to
> the Bronco, and I might be able to squeeze one out of him for around the
> same money.  However, I fully realize what a $5000 XJ-6 translates into
> if we use the Scott Fisher theory of basket-case-cum-restored british car
> financial investment.  He may have gotten in a Series III with no
> interior, (theft job) so we'll see what that means.

Maybe you can adapt an interior from an Eddie Bauer Bronco--

An XJ6 is a good alternative to a Bronco?  Hmmm... an XJ6 mud bog racer
would be pretty nifty.  Or an XJ6 version of Big Foot...

> At least they didn't make a 4-seater TD, or I'd be in the same situation
> as Will "quiz" Zehring.  Actually no, I think we're purchasing this car
> to be somewhat more removed from the elements, and have a smooth ride,

Before my short previous note draws denials, let me say I have with mine
very own two eyes seen a 4 seater TD in the MG museum in Westminster VT,
or if it wasn't a 4 seater TD it was sure doing a wonderful imitation of
one.

I kinda want the Bronco myself. >

Greg, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.  Granted my Blazer was
a Chevy and this is a Ford, but this is a Ford with 139,000 miles.  You
are going through a stage all car nuts go through when they realize that
they actually *need* to buy a car, and the possibilities appear endless.
In a couple of weeks, you will buy a Volvo 740 wagon, and start hunting
for a 289 Ford to drop in it over Christmas, like any sensible person
would do.

Reminds me of the lady who called Ford to ask how to remove a previous
owner's name from her new used Bronco.  "It apparently belonged to some
guy named Eddie Bauer, and he wrote his name all over it."

Ray "In your heart, you know you need a Volvo" Gibbons