Re: British Cars Digest #1430 Wed Nov 2 01:15:02 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1430 Wed Nov 2 01:15:02 MST 1994
From: bearibe@infi.net (Lawrence F. Beals, Jr.)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 23:48 EST
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 94 9:06:17 PST
>From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
>Subject: Re: Add Fizz to Stripping
>
>> Now someone has discovered that simple bicarbonate of soda
>> sprayed through a pressure jet washer takes the paint off in
>> very little time (1 square meter in 3 minutes). The bicarb. is
>> injected into the water and acts as a mild abrasive to loosen the
>> paint, so the article says.
>
>I saw a reference to this method on the Sunbeam Tiger list.  I would
>still think this could be a problem on an aluminum bodied car.  I've
>seen what high pressure water can do to soft wood.  I suspect aircraft
>skin has better support and is made of a harder alloy.  Interesting
>idea though.
>
>Roland

We just started using this process in the Submarine Fleet.  The control with
a AQUAMISER is great you can dial in the amount of paint that you want to
remove but more importantly the bicar. has been shown to actually pull the
oil out of the metal substrate to allow better bonding and it doesn't
destroy the "tooth" profile of the material. Also there is a process called
"Sponge jet" that does the same thing.  I offered my TR-7 engine as a test
platform but they just shook their heads.  Something about too oily.

                                                Larry

Lawrence F. Beals, Jr :  bearibe@infi.net

You can pay me for MY opinion,
but you can't pay me to have YOUR opinion.