Unpleasant Surprise

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Unpleasant Surprise
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 06:58:33 -0500
Just to pick up the thread re buying from UK vendors...

Having recently bought my TR6 and with the winter coming up I figured it was
time to buy a decent workshop manual.  Local vendors were charging about $85
Cdn for the Bentley manual whereas Moss quoted 20 pounds (converts to about
$45 Cdn) for the B/L book.  Now, I've sent parcels via air to Australia,
weighing about the same (1.5 kg) and paid about $25 Cdn, so I figured the
postage for a short haul like the UK would run $10-15 Cdn. I ordered via fax
and awaited confirmation.

Well, yesterday I got the Visa slip and confirmation in the mail only to find
shipping via Air Parcel Post was costing 20 pounds!  Well, so much for all
the money I was saving... now it'll end up costing more than the locals were
charging.  I guess postage in the UK is substantially higher than here...
I'll keep this in mind *if* there is a next time.