Re: Picking on Land Rovers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Picking on Land Rovers
From: "R. Kyle Schmidt" <rkschmid@mechanical.watstar.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 1994 11:53:09 EST
>Date: Tue, 01 Nov 1994 10:31:26 -0700 (MST)
>From: RETURN <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
>Subject: Cylinder head STUDS vs BOLTS

>Most LCBs have cylider head studs.  These are a total pain if you ask me.
>I'm thinking about changing the studs on my 1500 Midget for grade 8 bolts.
>Any views on the pros and cons of such a swap.

I would be wary of swapping the studs for bolts, especially SAE grade 8. If
you were intent on making the change I would use AN (now called NAS I believe)
aircraft grade bolts. These are internally socketed, and manufactured to a
much higher standard than SAE grade 8 bolts. One can never be too sure about
any SAE bolts (the standards are good, but adherance to them is poor).

Use Unbrako or another internally socketed bolt for this high strength
application. Often, cylinder head bolts are taper, so as to form a superior
path for stress flow. Thes bolts have a narrower section between the threads
and shank. These are the ultimate for use in a cylinder head. The look
something like this:

(Please excuse the cheesy ASCII drawing)

                        ___________
                        |          |    Bolt Top
                        --|     |--
                          |     |